In a little less than 48 hours I will be running the Top Of Utah Half marathon. Thirteen point one miles. I have been training since June. (The last two weeks have been awful-bad back=hard running=not a lot of miles booked). My longest run is 12 miles-so I am feeling sufficiently prepared.
However, I did not anticipate the nerves. I am starting to get extremely anxious and nervous about it. Some of it is the unknown...I've never run in a "race" before. (Trust me, the only person I am racing against is myself. I'm not expecting much of a "race.") However, I do have a few goals....
1. Finish the race in under 2.5 hrs. Yes-many people finish in less than 2 hours-some even less than that! But for me-anything less than 2.5 will be great!
2. Keep my average under 12 mins/mile. I know-I just told everyone how slow I am. But the fact of the matter is-I have never been a runner. I did not start running more than 2 or so miles until June...so the fact that I am now running long distances...is great.
3. Have fun and not let my nerves overtake the experience.
I am grateful to be running "with" (I use that term loosely because they will all be ahead of me.....) Ashley, Rach, and Jenny. It's been a great summer of training. Now here's to the race!!
Thursday, August 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
We'll all be here cheering for you! You'll be great. What an achievement - just to be registered in the race, let alone running in it!!
Good luck! You'll be great!
I am SO excited for you!! Your nerves will go once you get started. Have fun...I'll be thinking about you!!
Good luck with the race Jill! That is so fun to run with your sisters. I can't wait to hear how it goes!
P.S. Not sure if you want the advice, but I stopped and walked the water stations in my 1/2 marathon. I found it was easier to drink and I didn't get a sideache as easily. My goal was to run the whole time, and I did except for that. :)
Post a Comment