Saturday, April 3, 2010

Grandpa Landon


(This is the most recent picture I have of my grandpa. It was at Parker's baptism on
February 6th, 2010. He passed away on March 28th, 2010.)
This past week, my Grandpa Landon passed away at the age of 82. He was a wonderful man, who I love dearly and who will be greatly missed by all.
I grew up just down the road from my grandpa. One walk through a pasture and I was at their house, watching him garden, helping him pick berries, or watching him help my grandma make their latest quilt. He was a pro at cutting fabric squares for their many many quilts.
I remember as a young girl getting piggy back rides from my grandpa and always loved the way he teased us. He was always rough...in play and hugs.
He carried on the tradition with my kids-being such a good great-grandpa to them. They call him grandpapa. (And my grandma Landon "White Grandmama" thanks to her white hair.)
Except for a few years of my life, my grandpa has been not only my neighbor and friend, but a huge supporter of me and my family. He never missed a birthday party, a dance recital, or any blessing or other event that was special to me.
I love him and though he will be greatly missed, I am thankful that he is no longer suffering. He was ill for many years, fighting different battles with his health. Yet, he never complained. I think that none of us really knew just how ill he really was. And my grandma has tirelessly taken care of him and nursed him throughout these last really hard years where things got a little worse month by month.
The last memory I have of him is when Scott and I went to visit him in the hospital. It was a Wednesday and he passed away on a Sunday. On Wednesday, we went up to see him. He was very sick and was on oxygen, but was still very lucid and knew who we were and that we were there to see him. As I left and hugged him good-bye and told him I loved him, through his mask, he said he loved me too. And I know he did.
His funeral was yesterday. It was beautiful.
I have a testimony of the Plan of Salvation. I know that he is happy now, and healthy. And that is in a much better place.
I am blessed to have built our home in that pasture that I walked through daily as a little girl. Our kids have the pleasure of growing up between two sets of grandparents. I know that grandmama will need a few more visits and I will probably need some sewing lessons, pie crust making lessons, and bread making lessons.
I love you, Grandpa. Thank you for your legacy.
Here are a few pictures that I found as I was browsing through.
At Presley's blessing, October 2007
Parker's 6th Birthday- January 2008
4th of July, 2006
Halloween, 2008

Christmas Eve, 2009
Halloween, 2009
Parker's 7th Birthday, January 2009
Landon's Birthday, December 18th, 2008
At Matt's foobtall game, Summer 2008


8 comments:

Rebekah said...

Doug and i were both sad to hear about your grandpa passing away. Bryce said the funeral was so good! we are so blessed to know the plan of salvation and that we will be with loved ones again someday.
love you,
Rebekah

Nancy J said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa. He sounds like he will be missed. It is so nice to have the plan of salvation. It is so good to take time to ponder his great life.

craptasticcancer.blogspot.com said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I remember him coming up to girls camp and being so helpful. He was just such a great guy!

Kara said...

I just saw your Grandma and Grandpa at Walmart a few weeks ago, so I was surprised to hear he passed. He was a sweet man. You are so lucky to have had so many memories made with him being so close. And your children will feel blessed to have those memories, too. I'm sorry for your loss, though. Your grandma will be in our prayers.

Jennifer Payne said...

It is weird to think we just saw him at Parker's Baptism. He was such a neat man and I have many memories of staying at your house and running down the street to their house! I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandpa, and I hope that you can feel of our love during this difficult time. Love you!

Julie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. There is something special about our relationships with our Grandparents. I'll be thinking about you.

Sara said...

he always had the cutest expression on his face... that was beautiful jill. thinking of you:)

Rebecca said...

thinking of you and your family Jill. You have so many wonderful memories that you have captured not just for you but for your family. I have to say what a cute looking old man! Sending our love and thoughts across the big pond, love becky & stevexx